It’s springtime and there’s no better way to celebrate the season than with fruit flavors. Try our recipe for Sweet Onion and Peached Pulled Pork Sandwiches and you’ll see why it’s a customer favorite!
· 4 to 5 pound pork shoulder, bone-in
· 1 (16-ounce) jar Smokin’ Texas Gourmet Texas Sweet Onion and Peach Salsa
· 1 can Coca Cola Zero (regular Coke or Dr. Pepper may also be used)
· Smokin’ Texas Gourmet Spiced Dry Rub, to taste
· Smokin’ Texas Gourmet Garlic Salt and Pepper seasoning, to taste
· Smokin’ Texas Gourmet BBQ Sauce, to taste
· Hamburger or slider buns
· Pickle, for garnish
1. Season the pork shoulder liberally on all sides with the dry rub and garlic, salt and pepper.
2. Add the pork shoulder to a crock pot or slow cooker. Add the jar of salsa and can of Coca Cola.
3. Cook the pork on high in a slow cooker for 6 hours. Baste the pork with the liquid every 2 hours if you like.
4. Remove the pork shoulder from the cooker.
5. Pour the liquid from the cooker into a bowl or large measuring cup. Let it stand for 2 to 4 minutes, allowing the fat to come to the top. Skim the fat with a spoon or basting siphon and then add liquid back to the cooker.
6. Pull the pork into shreds. Add the pulled pork back to the cooker and mix. Cook for 1 to 2 more hours.
7. Serve the pork on a slider bun and garnish with pickle.
*Recipe Note: For barbecue pulled pork, add 1/4 cup of Smokin’ Texas Gourmet BBQ sauce into the liquid before putting the pulled pork back into the cooker. For a Spanish or Mexican flavor, substitute 1 jar of Smokin’ Texas Gourmet Tomatillo Salsa for the Sweet Onion Peach Salsa.